I spent most of this day celebrating Record Store Day. First I went toLou’s Records in Encinitas. They are quite organized for the event. Folks usually start forming a line around 7:30am and at 9am Lou himself comes out and hands out numbers. I arrived right at 9am and was #72. Then when the store opens at 10am the staff start calling up customers in order and each person gets to pick up to 5 RSD releases.
By the time my turn came a few of my picks were gone but I still got some great records:
- Jimmy Page & the Black Crowes – Live at the Greek
- Of Montreal – Satanic Panic in the Attic
- Man Man – The Man in a Blue Turban with a Face
- Tame Impala – Live Versions
- Garbage & Brody Dalle – Girls Talk
Next stop was Spin Records in Carlsbad since I wasn’t going to wait all the way through the line again to get more records. Plus, it isn’t really Record Store Day unless you go to at least two stores!!
I got some great records there as well:
- Frightened Rabbit – Live From Criminal Records
- Grant Hart – Every Everything
- Built to Spill – Ultimate Alternative Wavers
- Tears for Fears – Ready Boy & Girls?
- Opeth – Watershed
Then it was time to head back down to Lou’s to see what else might still be available. I was surprised to find both the Pixies and Flaming Lips records and this Shocking Blue 7″ was a real bonus.
- Shocking Blue – Send Me a Postcard
- Flaming Lips – 7 Skies H3
- Katatonia – Kocytean
- Pixies – Indie CIndy
Now comes the fun part – listening!